Central Piedmont Community College

[Cpcommunicator] Poverty Simulation

CPCC Office of Community Relations Communicator Communicator at cpcc.edu
Thu Apr 22 14:31:00 EDT 2010
Would you like to participate in a Poverty Simulation? Service-Learning is looking for interested faculty and staff to volunteer to help us run our next Poverty Simulation, You would be playing the role of a community agency (i.e. Banker, DSS, Employer etc.) as students in the participating classes go through a simulated month living at or around the poverty line.

If you are interested in volunteering at our next Poverty Simulation please email: andrea.chiz at cpcc.edu<mailto:andrea.chiz at cpcc.edu>. You would just need to arrive 15 min. early to read up on your assignment and get ready for the student participants. This is an eye opening experience for both the participants and the community agencies and we hope you will join us.

Upcoming Poverty Simulation DATES:
Thursday April 29 6:30-8:30 p.m. in the Hall Building, Rooms 215/216 on Central Campus.

A Poverty Simulation is an exercise that exposes students to the realities of poverty in our community, and first-hand insights into the complex world of government services and commercial enterprises that affect the poverty-stricken. Participants assume roles of "families" facing poverty. Each "family"-during the course of four 15-minute "weeks" navigates the "city" in attempt to provide basic necessities and shelter with the help of community services (bank, church food pantry, general employer, pawnbroker, grocery store, welfare office, police station, utilities and rent payment centers). The simulation however, is not a game. Scenarios are based on real-time poverty statistics, cost of living, average rent, etc., and represent those actually living ABOVE the official poverty line.