Central Piedmont Community College

[Cpcommunicator] Discussion of Islamic culture and stereotypes on Central 11/11

CPCC Office of Community Relations Communicator Communicator at cpcc.edu
Tue Nov 4 07:19:21 EST 2008
>From Library Services

Dispelling myths and stereotypes about Islam and Muslims discussion:

Does the mere sight or sound of words like Ramadan, jihad, Muslim or
terrorism cause you anxiety? If so, you could be suffering from
"Islamophobia."

In our efforts to develop tolerance and respect for each other's
culture, religion and heritage, we invite you to join us for a special
presentation and discussion on dispelling age-old myths, misconceptions
and stereotypes about Islam and Muslims. Following an introduction on
the importance of religious understanding by Dr. Chris Brawley, CPCC
students Abrar Alkusaimi and Shaista Balqees will discuss common
stereotypes and share personal experiences associated with being Muslim
in the U.S.

This presentation and discussion will be held on Tuesday, November 11,
2008, from 11:00 a.m. -12:15 p.m. in PD 304.

A coordinating exhibit featuring Islamic clothing, cultural artifacts,
information and books about Islam will be on display in the Central
Campus library until the end of the semester.

Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to attend. This program is
being sponsored in collaboration with the CPCC Libraries. For more
information or to schedule your classes, please contact Retha Hall at
704.330.6113.