Central Piedmont Community College

[Cpcommunicator] Web content filtering to be phased in this summer

CPCC Office of Community Relations Communicator Communicator at cpcc.edu
Thu Jun 7 09:00:20 EDT 2007
>From Human Resources:

In an effort to ensure that College resources are used in a manner appropriate to the mission of the College, access to certain websites will be blocked for students, faculty, and staff. This initiative will also provide added benefits in bandwidth reduction and increased security.

It is recognized that some of the blocked sites may have academic value and a process is in place to allow for access to such sites on a per-semester basis with the approval of a Vice President or designated person.

Content filtering will be gradually phased in over the course of the next few weeks to ensure a smooth transition between the existing system and the new system. For more information, check out the Frequently Asked Questions below, call 704-330-6812, or email fran.lilly at cpcc.edu <mailto:fran.lilly at cpcc.edu> :

*	Why is CPCC now blocking certain websites?
	CPCC is now actively blocking certain websites in a good faith effort to promote the utilization of CPCC equipment in line with the mission of the college, increase the security posture of internal network computers, reducing the potential for litigation.
*	What types of websites will be blocked?
	Sites that are deemed by an independent, non-CPCC affiliated group, to be pornographic or of a strong adult nature, virus or spyware producers and gambling sites.
*	What do I do if a site is blocked but is needed for my class?
	Please inform your instructor or Dean and they will be able to whitelist sites on your behalf.
*	What do I do if a site is blocked but I disagree that it is inappropriate?
	Please inform your instructor or Dean and they will be able to whitelist sites on your behalf.
*	Who will this affect?
	Eventually, everyone with a network account will be filtered. Initially, a phased, but random, rollout will occur to evaluate and measure load.
*	When will filtering go into effect?
	Content filtering will be enabled in a phased approach starting in the next few weeks and will be fully deployed over the Summer, 2007.