Central Piedmont Community College

[Cpcommunicator] Global Issues events for fall semester

Office of Community Relations Communicator communicator at cpcc.edu
Wed May 28 10:16:09 EDT 2003
-- From Lynn Moretz

To:  All Faculty and Staff

Thank you all very much for your support of the Global Issues Project and speaker series.  We have had fifteen (15) major speakers in the Global Issues Forum speaker series over the past three years, attended by some 2,200 students, faculty, staff and guests from the community.  These speakers have generously participated at no cost whatever to CPCC.

Our first speaker this fall is Ambassador Mark W. Erwin, former ambassador to  Mauritius, the Seychelles and Comoros islands, and a very good friend of CPCC.  Ambassador Erwin will speak on "American Diplomacy in Today's World" on Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 9:30-10:40 a.m. in West Campus auditorium.   If you have a class during that time slot, especially at West Campus, please put this event into your syllabus and plan to bring your class.

Our second fall speaker will be at Central Campus.  Ms. Millie Cox, Honorary Consul of France and a leader in Charlotte's international community, will speak in Pease Auditorium on Wednesday, September 24, 2003, at 9:30-10:20 a.m.  Her topic will be announced later, but it will deal with issues in the relationship  between the USA and France.  If you have a class during that time slot, please put this into your syllabus and plan to bring your class.

We are working to bring a very high-profile speaker to Central Campus in October.  This is scheduled tentatively for either Thursday, October 23, or Thursday, October 30, 2003.  The time will probably be mid-morning, most likely 9:30-10:45 a.m.; so if you have a class during that time, please make room in your syllabus for what will be an outstanding event.  More information will be provided on this as plans develop more fully.

In addition to the speaker series, 19 instructors have implemented specific projects in their courses to involve their students more directly in relevant global issues.  Some very creative global issues course components have been integrated into their courses.  Our hope is to secure funds (for $400 stipends) to continue this aspect of the project next year.  If you are interested in introducing a relevant global issues component into one of your courses, please give me a call at 6782 (after August 4), or send an email.  I will be happy to discuss it with you and help if I can, even if we do not obtain funding.

Please mark these dates on your calendar, and put these Global Issues Forum events into your course syllabus if you are teaching during these time slots.  Again, thank you very much for your participation and support.  Best wishes for a wonderful summer vacation.

--Lynn Moretz