Central Piedmont Community College

[Cpcommunicator] Support the 2004 Spring Literary Festival 3/22-24

-- From Irene Honeycutt

As we prepare for CPCC's 12th Spring Literary Festival, "The Creative
Spirit Thrives!," we would like to extend an invitation to all faculty
and staff to support the festival by the following means:

1.	Add to your syllabus, as you would holidays, the dates of the
Spring Literary Festival: (March 22-24, 2004).  This would remind
everyone.

2.	Consider using the play Driving Miss Daisy as an instructional
learning tool. The festival's keynote speaker, Alfred Uhry, is the
playwright, as well as the screenwriter for the movie. He's the only
playwright ever to win the "triple crown"-the Tony, an Oscar, and the
Pulitzer. Teaching the play would not only generate interest in the
writer, but would be useful because its content deals with social
issues, race issues, and cultural diversity, as well as being
entertaining. Uhry will speak on March 23.

3.	Read Driving Miss Daisy  and/or Edward P. Jones' novel, The
Known World, in your book group.

4.	Teach  Jones' novel, The Known World.  A finalist for the 2003
National Book Award, Jones' novel portrays the powerful experience of
black slaves who were owned by blacks. Jones will speak on March 24.

5.	Study one of the country's finest poets, Linda Pastan, who was
recently the recipient of the coveted Ruth Lilly Prize for Poetry.
Pastan received $l00,000 for her lifetime achievement in writing.

The festival is a wonderful resource for faculty, staff and students,
greatly enhancing

the educational and cultural climate on our campus and in the region.

Beginning writers and some former CPCC creative writing students will be
featured along with regional writers who have won national acclaim.

Check the evolving website to update your calendar and read the
fascinating details about the featured guests:  www.cpcc.edu/literary

Thank you in advance for your support.

Best wishes for the holiday season!