Central Piedmont Community College

[Cpcommunicator] Millennium Voices programs this month

Office of Community Relations Communicator communicator at cpcc.edu
Wed Oct 9 07:24:27 EDT 2002
-- From Mark Helms

Millennium Voices - Fall 2002

Last fall, in the aftermath of September 11, CPCC students and faculty attended the Millennium Voices speaker series in record numbers.  The series presented speakers on a variety of topics related to Islam, global affairs, terrorism, and tolerance.

This fall, two excellent Millennium Voices programs are scheduled for mid-October.  Details are below.  Faculty are invited to bring your classes and encourage your students to attend.  For more information, contact Mark Helms at 6127 or at mark.helms at cpcc.edu.

Global Perceptions of U.S. Foreign Policy
Wednesday, October 16
12:45 - 2:00 pm
Pease Auditorium

Dr. Radwan Masmoudi will discuss how people from many regions of the world view America.  Upon his return from an recent trip to the Middle East, Dr. Masmoudi commented that "the trip strengthened my belief that we must all redouble our efforts to build bridges of understanding and dialog between the U.S and the Arab and Muslim World."  Current tensions between America and Iraq make this a timely issue.

Religious Tolerance in America
Wednesday, October 23
12:45 - 2:00 pm
Pease Auditorium

Throughout American history, the diversity of religious beliefs in our country has generated controversy, as well as a search for tolerance.  As an individual, how successful do you believe America has been in promoting religious tolerance, and how does your own faith fit into this continuing struggle?

Dr. Tim Beach-Verhey, Director of Programs for the Theological Exploration of Vocation at Davidson College, will moderate this discussion with CPCC students.  Our students are invited to respond to the question with prepared position statements, reviewed by a CPCC faculty mentor, for presentation at this program.  Dr. Beach-Verhey will open the program, introduce our student speakers, respond to their statements, and moderate discussion.

Students wishing to participate as a speaker should contact Mark Helms at 704.330.6127, or online at mark.helms at cpcc.edu.  Deadline for submission of position statements is Thursday, October 17, at 2:00 pm.

--Mark Helms