Central Piedmont Community College

[Ccpro] Course Evaluation Software

Terri S Lee tslee at johnstoncc.edu
Wed Mar 12 15:40:35 EDT 2014
Hello everyone!  Our method is much like the one Jay described.  We had been using Survey Monkey since Fall 2007 to conduct the course evaluations for online only sections.  In the Fall of 2012, we moved all curriculum course evaluations to Qualtrics, another survey software.  There is an email function within Quatrics as well as an automated reminder for those who have not taken the evaluation.  Each semester we pull the following information from Informer:

First Name, Last Name, Primary Email, Student ID, Course Name, Section No, Age, Ethnicity, Gender, Term, Delivery Method, Active Major, Faculty First Name, Faculty Last Name

We load this information as a panel into Qualtrics with our survey.  Importing these fields allows us to filter the course evaluation results several ways.  We currently present the results to the instructional administration as an overall report, an online only report, a report with all sections other than online, by instructional department, and by individual section.  We also download the comments as a separate file which we import into Nvivo and code by support service area as applicable.

If asked, we could combine the results for all sections for one instructor, or we could create a crosstab within Qualtrics and look at differences in gender, delivery method, major etc.  This method offers a lot of flexibility.

We also use the same Informer file (unduplicated without course information) to disseminate a Support Services Survey each semester.  Since Qualtrics is an overall survey software we are not limited as to the type of surveys we create.

We use Qualtrics for all of our survey needs and have been very pleased.  Their customer service is excellent, and the system is very user friendly.  The cost is also very nice!

Terri S. Lee, Ed.D.
Director of Research and Institutional Effectiveness/
SACSCOC Accreditation Liaison
Johnston Community College
PO Box 2350
Smithfield, NC 27577